Superior Court of California - County of Shasta

Unlawful Detainer

General Information

In an eviction action, the landlord is the "plaintiff" and the tenant is the "defendant".

An unlawful detainer is a court action that moves very quickly. The tenant has only five days to file a written response to the suit after being served with the complaint. Normally, the case will be heard within 20 days after the tenant answers.


Local Form Packets Judical Council

All required forms are also available in the Civil Division of the Shasta County Superior Court at 1500 Court Street, Room 319, Redding, California, or at the Burney Branch Court at 20509 Shasta Street, Burney. Information is also available on line at the California Courts Self Help Center.

Fill out your forms by logging on to and choosing the County where you will be filing. This site helps you fill out forms by prompting you with questions.


What if I cannot afford a filing fee?/h4>

If you cannot afford to pay the filing fees and other court costs, you may qualify for a waiver of those costs. You may obtain the Application for Waiver of Court Fees and Costs at the Courthouse in Redding or the Burney Branch, or by downloading the two forms below. There is no charge to file the application.

Application for Waiver of court Fees and Costs (In Forma Pauperis).

Order on Application for Waiver of Court Fees and Costs (In Forma Pauperis) The Order must be submitted with Application at the time of filing.


The Hearing

At the hearing, the parties can present their evidence and explain their case. If the court finds the tenant has a good defense, the court may not evict. If the court decides in favor of the landlord, a writ of possession will be issued. Information and further details are available at the California Courts Self Help Center web site.


Assistance and Information

Local legal assistance is available by contacting:

Legal Services of Northern California
1370 West Street
Redding, CA 96001
(530) 241-3565

Or, you may access information at

Do not use unregistered legal assistants. Assisting someone without being a registered unlawful detainer assistant or an attorney is a crime.


Self Help Assistance

Further information and publications are available at the California Department of Consumer Affairs web site. A book entitled "California Tenants, a guide to residential tenants' and landlords' rights and responsibilities" is also available through the Department of Consumer Affairs. You may download the publication, order it on-line, or mail in your order. The address for this agency is:

California Department of Consumer Affairs
401 S Street, Suite 100
Sacramento, CA 95814
(800) 952-5210

The California Courts Self Help Center allows you to download forms and information regarding unlawful detainer actions.

Contact Us

Copyright 2007 Superior Court of California - County of Shasta
1500 Court Street  Redding, CA 96001