Print |

Files citations received by law enforcement agencies. Most citations can be resolved without appearing in court, by paying the bail or paying the bail along with requesting traffic school or providing proof of correction.


Main Courthouse, 1500 Court Street, Room 112, Redding CA 96001 -  Map
Office Hours:8:30 AM to 2:00 PM
(530) 245-6789
(530) 999-2003 Fax
(530) 245-6782 Traffic School



An infraction is a violation of, or failure to comply with, certain provisions of the Vehicle Code, local ordinance or other law or statute. An infraction is not punishable by imprisonment; the maximum sentence on most infractions is a $250 fine (plus assessments and fees). You may not be sentenced to alternate jail time on an infraction and cannot have a trial by jury.

Juvenile Citations

The Traffic Unit processes juvenile cases involving only infractions. Juvenile case information is confidential; therefore, information will not be accessible through our automated phone system. You must speak with a clerk to obtain the information needed.

In many circumstances, you may pay your fine without appearing in court. Citations that do not require a mandatory appearance or proof of correction typically can be paid using our online payment service, by mail, or directly with our Traffic Division. Refer to "Payment Options" link below for more information on paying your citation.

Courtesy Notices

A courtesy notice is mailed to the address listed on the citation. The notice contains general information about requirements and options available for resolving the ticket, which may include:

  • Amount of bail, based on the violations and your prior driving history
  • Proof of correction requirements for mechanical violations
  • Mandatory court appearance requirements
  • Traffic school eligibility requirements
  • Contact information

Failure to receive a courtesy notice is not a legal excuse for failing to take care of the citation. Your signature on the citation is your promise to appear, and it is your responsibility to resolve the citation on or before the due date. If you do not receive a courtesy notice, contact the court by the date at the bottom of the citation.

Reminder:Failure to appear or resolve a citation on or before the due date may result in a Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) hold being placed on your driver's license or a warrant being issued for your arrest. A DMV hold will restrict your driving privileges and/or ability to register a vehicle. The citation may also be referred to collections for the collection of payment due.

Proof of Correction

Only offenses deemed correctable by an officer can be dismissed after proof of correction is shown to the court. An administrative fee of $25.00 will be assessed per correction.

Proof of correction can be obtained by having an authorized representative of any police agency complete the certificate of correction located on the reverse side of your citation or courtesy notice. If the violations charged on your citation involve expired vehicle registration, no driver’s license, or no driver’s license in possession, you may have a representative from the Department of Motor Vehicles complete the certificate of correction when these violations have been corrected.

Insurance Violations

If you receive a citation for insurance violation and either had insurance at the time of the violation or you purchased insurance after you were cited, you may be eligible for a reduction in bail. In order to receive a reduction in your bail, you must present verification of insurance coverage to the court. If you had valid insurance on or prior to the date the citation was issued, you may provide proof of insurance to the clerk of the court by mail or in person. Upon payment of the reduced fine, the charge may be dismissed. Your fine may be reduced to half of the original fine if you show proof insurance was purchased after the citation date. You must purchase at a minimum a 90-day pre-paid policy; however, the charge will not be dismissed.

The court will accept as proof of compliance a copy of the insurance policy or a copy of an identification card issued by the insurance company with the following vehicle information:

  • Insurance policy number
  • Name of the insurance company
  • Effective date of the coverage
  • Expiration date of the coverage
  • Vehicle Identification (year, make, model, license or VIN number
Animal Control Violations

Proof of correction for citations issued for unlicensed or unvaccinated animals can be obtained by having an animal control officer certify the correction has been completed, or by presenting to the traffic clerk a photocopy of the license or inoculation certificate, or showing the payment receipt for current license or inoculation. No fee is required if violations are corrected and valid proof is submitted.

If you receive a citation for a violation of fishing without a license in possession, (F&G 7145(a)), and can submit proof to the court of a valid license effective on or before the issue date of the citation, you may be eligible for a reduction in bail. In order to receive the bail reduction, you must present a copy of the valid fishing license to the clerk of the court, either by mail or in person.

Please Note: A traffic clerk is authorized to accept certain standard proofs of correction in order to reduce your fine. You may be required to schedule a court date if you wish to have any other corrections for these violations reviewed for a possible fine reduction.

  • One 30-day extension may be obtained by mail, phone, or in person.
  • Extensions are not allowed on citations that require a mandatory court appearance.
  • Extensions are not allowed once the due date has passed.

Failure to Appear/Failure to Pay

If you receive a notice from the court or the Department of Motor Vehicles(DMV) informing you that a Failure to Appear (FTA) hold has been issued on your driver’s license, you may clear the FTA by one of the following three methods:

  • Pay the entire bail amount, OR
  • Arrange a monthly installment payment plan, OR
  • Appear in court.

The hold on your license shall be removed from your DMV record the business day following receipt of your payment or your court appearance. For further information on how to pay your citation, refer to the "Payment Options" section below.

If you have a Failure to Pay (FTP) hold on your driver’s license, the hold will be released upon payment in full by verified funds (cash, money order, cashier’s check, personal check). Please note that a payment by personal check must clear your bank before DMV will be notified to release the hold. This process may take 30 to 45 days depending on your bank.

Traffic School

Traffic school is offered as an option to resolve your case. Upon completion of an 8-hour traffic school course and showing proof of a traffic school completion certificate, the case will be reported to the Department of Motor Vehicles as a dismissal. Completion of traffic school may help keep your insurance premiums at a lower rate.

The Department of Motor Vehicles shall hold only one traffic school dismissal within an 18-month period confidential. This also applies to non- point count violations, which are not used to determine negligent operator by DMV. If you have attended another traffic school within eighteen months, DMV will not hold your attendance on this citation confidential.


You may be eligible for Traffic Violator School (TVS) if you meet all of the requirements and a court clerk or a judicial officer has approved your attendance. The requirements are:

  • You have a valid driver's license.
  • The alleged violations are infractions and are reportable to the Department of Motor Vehicles.
  • You have not attended TVS for dismissal of a prior ticket issued within 18 months of your present ticket.
  • You have not failed to appear under Vehicle Code section 40508(a), unless the failure-to-appear charge has been adjudicated and any fine imposed has been paid in full.
  • You have not failed to appear under Penal Code section 1214.1 unless the monetary assessment has been paid in full.
  • An alleged offense does not
    • have a point count of more than one under Vehicle Code section 12810 or more
    • involve alcohol or drug use or possession;
    • involve exceeding the speed limit by more than 25 miles per hour;
    • charge a violation of Vehicle Code section 22406.5; or
    • require a mandatory court appearance.
  • The appearance date on your notice to appear has not passed.

You cannot pay your citation online if you are considering attending Traffic School.

Please note: If you hold a commercial driver’s license, or were issued a citation while driving a commercial vehicle, you are NOT eligible to attend traffic school.

Requesting Traffic School

If you are eligible and wish to attend traffic school, you must do the following:

  • Request TVS and pay the nonrefundable TVS fee equal to the bail amount plus $65.00.
  • Upon approval of your request by the clerk or the court, choose a court approved TVS program. Online TVS is available as an option upon request.
  • Pay the TVS program fee and complete the program.
  • Submit your original TVS certificate of completion to the court by the due date. Extensions of time to complete the TVS program will not be granted.

After you submit your proof of completion to the court, your case will be dismissed.

All of the above requirements are your responsibility and must be completed before ninety (90) days. Do not wait to sign up for the school or you may discover that the classes are full and you cannot complete classes and return the "Certificate of Completion" to the Court by the 90th day.

WARNING: If you fail to provide the Court with the required "Certificate of Completion" form within ninety (90) days, the fees paid to the court pursuant to 42007 of the Vehicle Code will be converted to bail and be declared forfeited pursuant to 40512.6 Vehicle Code. The violation will be reported as a CONVICTION to DMV.

Red Light Camera Citations

Citations issued by automated enforcement systems are issued to the registered owner of the vehicle that is on file with the Department of Motor Vehicles. The citations are issued by the Redding Police Department and mailed within 15 days of the incident to the address provided by DMV.

If You Were Not the Driver

A picture of the person driving the vehicle at the time the violation occurred appears on the citation you receive from the law enforcement agency. If you were not the driver, complete the appropriate section on the citation and mail it immediately to the address on the citation. The agency will contact the court regarding your information. If you fail to complete the required information and return it to the address on the citation and do not appear or contact the court by your assigned date, additional penalties will be added to your case and your driver’s license will be suspended.

Viewing of red light camera citations is also available on line. To access your notice, visit The website will require you to enter data from your notice and you will need to include the code for Redding (REDDNG).

Child Safety Restraints

If you are charged with a failure to properly use a child safety seat (Vehicle Code sections 27360 or 27360.5 – mandatory use of child passenger restraints required), a Judge or Commissioner may find you eligible for a reduction in your fine upon completion of a Child Restraint Class offered by Shasta County Public Health. If you are interested in further information about this option, contact the traffic clerk’s office before the due date on your citation to schedule a court appearance.

Payment Options

Online: You may be eligible to pay your fine online by credit card at our Online Payments page. You must know your citation/ticket number.

Mail: You may handle most transactions through the mail. To pay your fine by mail, send a check or money order (U.S. dollars) made payable to SHASTA COUNTY SUPERIOR COURT any time prior to your appearance date. Write your docket number and the name of the person who received the citation on the check or money order to ensure proper credit.

Telephone: You may also pay your fine by telephone using your credit card. You must know your citation/ticket number and submit your request any time prior to your appearance date. Juvenile citations are not eligible for payment using this service. To pay your citation by telephone, call (530) 245-6789. Select the Traffic Division option and follow the prompts provided.

In Person: You may pay your fine directly with a clerk at the Traffic Division, Room 112, on the first floor of the Courthouse. Cash, personal checks, money orders, and credit or debit cards with Visa or MasterCard logos are accepted.

Installments: You may request monthly payments by mail or in person. A $50.00 collection fee will be assessed on all payment plans. The minimum allowed monthly payment is $50.00.

Community Service

You may perform community service hours to satisfy your fine. You must sign up in person at the traffic office. Scheduling is then done through the Probation Department who charges an administrative fee for the service. Credit toward your fine is given at $50.00 per each 8-hour workday.

Court Appearances and Trial Options

Arraignment: An initial court proceeding at which time you may appear in person to plead guilty, guilty with an explanation, no contest, or not guilty to the violation(s) on your citation. Posting of bail is not required for this type of appearance. The officer will not be present at this proceeding. If you wish to schedule an arraignment date, submit your request by mail, telephone, or in person to the court address noted on the bottom of your citation

If you choose to contest your citation, you must enter a plea of not guilty and post the full bail amount of your case, pursuant to California Vehicle Code 40519(a),(b),(c). There are two ways to contest your citation:

Court Trial: A court proceeding in which you appear in person to testify about the facts of your case. The officer who issued the citation will be subpoenaed to appear. You have the right to subpoena witnesses and to have a lawyer present, if you retain one.

Trial by Written Declaration: A procedure in which you may submit a written statement regarding your citation in lieu of a court trial. Complete a trial by declaration form explaining the facts of your case, along with your opinion as to why the court should rule in your favor. You may also include any documentary evidence you feel is helpful. This option applies ONLY to vehicle code violations and is not offered in cases that involve accidents or require a mandatory court appearance. The officer who issued the citation will also be asked to submit a written statement. Submit your completed trial by declaration form by mail or in person to the court address noted at the bottom of your citation.

  • If you are found guilty, your bail deposit will be applied toward the fine imposed.
  • If you are found not guilty, your bail will be refunded by mail to the depositor at the address listed on the case.

Do not pay your citation online if you wish to contest your citation.

Contesting a Judicial Decision

An appeal may be filed within 30 days only after being found guilty in a court trial. New evidence is not accepted on appeal. The appellate court’s decision deals only with the evidence offered and decisions made at the time of trial. Judicial Council forms required to file an appeal may be obtained through the Forms link on this site.

A request for new trial after being found guilty by Trial by Declaration ("Trial de Novo") must be made by filing Judicial Council form TR220 within 20 days after the date the court’s decision was mailed. This form can be obtained through the Forms link on this site.

Frequently Asked Questions
Can I attend Traffic School in my county of residence?

Yes, if is on the list of approved Traffic Schools from Shasta County.

How do I sign up for Traffic School?

Either by mail or in person.

Is the date at the bottom of my citation a court date?

Infractions (most traffic violations and other types of minor offenses) do not require a mandatory court appearance; rather, the date at the bottom of the citations is a date by which you promise to contact the court. Under most circumstances, you will receive a courtesy notice containing further information and directions prior to that date. *If you do not receive a courtesy notice prior to the date at the bottom of the citation, you must contact the court on or before that date.

If I sign a payment plan can I still set a court date and request that my fine be reduced?

No, by signing a payment plan, you are admitting guilt to the charges and promising to pay the full fine amount.

What is a prior assessment fee?

Pursuant to Vehicle Code section 42004, a $38.00 fee is assessed for each violation that carries a point count on your driving record.

What is an assessment fee?

Pursuant to Vehicle Code section 40508.6, a $10.00 fee is assessed for the cost of recording and maintaining a record of prior conviction(s).

What is a court security fee?

Pursuant to Penal Code section 1465.8, a $40.00 Court Security Fee is assessed on every criminal and traffic offense to ensure and maintain adequate funding for court security throughout the state of california.

What is a Criminal Conviction Assessment Fee?

Pursuant to Government Code section 70373, an assessment fee of $35.00 will be added on every conviction charge. The revenue collected is deposited into the State Court Facilities Construction Fund.

What is an Emergency Air Medical Transportation Fee?

Pursuant to Government Code 76000.10(a)(1) and California AB 2173, an assessment fee of $4.00 is assessed on each Vehicle Code conviction. The revenue collected is deposited into an account for augmenting Medi-Cal reimbursement paid for emergency air transportation.

© 2009 Superior Court of Shasta County